Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Ten Fun Things about Fall (Part 1)

Since I'm a fall baby and fall really is my favorite season, I'd like to throw out 10 things I love about this lovely transitional time. I'll also be doing some posts on some of these in more depth because fall is just THAT awesome. So here we go, these are 10 things I LOVE about this time of year:

1. Oktoberfests
Now I've never been to the one in Germany, which I've heard is like the most fun you'll ever have EVER, but lucky for me, there are tons of Oktoberfest-themed festivals all over in honor of Munich's most holy holiday. I've been to 2 so far this fall and they were delightful! Good micro-brew beers, giant soft pretzels and many a person wandering around in lederhosen as a nod to the festival's origins. It's a super fun way to spend a sunny Saturday and it is a quintessentially fall event.


2. College Football (Read: Tailgating)
Speaking of quintessentially fall events, it's college football season! I went to Notre Dame, which has arguably the best college football tradition in the world and although I sometimes have trouble watching the games in their entirety, tailgating is probably the best thing that was ever invented. I'm just realizing that this post is starting to focus a lot on eating and drinking beer outside, but that's what fall is great for! The other thing I love about tailgating/college football is the opportunity to theme dress. There is no judgment whatsoever at a Notre Dame tailgate to walk around in green and white striped tights with a giant furry hat and as much green glitter on you as you could find. It's totally acceptable. Plus you get to drink bloody marys and eat fried chicken and see long lost friends. Tailgating is truly magical.

3. Leaves
There is no other time of year more beautiful than fall. The entire world around us becomes this beautiful rainbow of colors, like a sunset of leaves. I'm so poetic. Anyway, it's gorgeous and there's also nothing so oddly satisfying as jumping into a pile of freshly raked leaves, even if your mom tells you not to because it's dirty.

4. My Birthday!
Oh how I love stock photos.
I know I basically covered this in yesterday's post, but I dig my birthday. I'm an only child and probably the most only child thing about me is that I got a pretty awesome birthday party every year as a kid (but other than that I assure you I'm incredibly down to earth and well-adjusted). Even though the days of roller skate parties are over (or are they?) I can't help it, my birthday makes me smile! I love the posts on my Facebook wall, especially the ones from people I haven't seen in YEARS. I love cake. I love blowing out candles. I love presents and cards. I love balloons. As I'm writing this I can't help but wonder who are you people that DON'T like your birthday? What's not to love?

5. Pumpkin-palooza

The Tuesday after Labor Day hits and suddenly, everything that could include pumpkin in some way sweeps the nation. Of course there is the often-lauded Starbucks pumpkin spice latte, but there's also pumpkin bread, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin beer (which I had at an Oktoberfest and was DELICIOUS), candy pumpkins, pumpkin soup, pumpkins EVERYWHERE. Plus grocery stores start selling them for Halloween (more on that special day later) which gives each trip to the store a festive fall feeling. I personally am a big fan of pumpkin and including it in various foods. In fact I made pumpkin cupcakes this fall with pumpkin cream cheese frosting. Yes that means actual pumpkin in both the cakes and the frosting and they were amahzing. The funny thing is, I usually hate the color orange, but when it means pumpkin's involved, I'm all for it.

Since my enthusiasm for fall things knows no bounds and this post is getting long, I'm dividing it into 2 parts. Stay tuned tomorrow for Part 2 of this list!

No comments:

Post a Comment