Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Girl Power Movies

Since I'm living the life of an Independent Woman, I decided to do a post about movies that celebrate the ladies. Here are a few of my favorites:

Whip It!
I legitimately researched roller derby and purchasing roller skates online after I saw this movie the first time. I also came up with my own roller derby name: Barbie Maul. This movie makes me feel like little, cowardly me could put on some roller skates and kick some ace. It's seriously a really enjoyable flick with a phenomenal cast (Kristen Wiig anyone?) so you should probably go see it right now.

Elizabethtown
Now this might be a controversial pick for a few reasons. First, this movie was one of the few Cameron Crowe movies that was not very well received because, well, the plot is a little odd. Second, the MAIN character in this movie is a super whiny guy, played by Orlando Bloom, who is not a lady. However, Kirsten Dunst plays this awesomely quirky, spontaneous, creative force of nature who takes this whiny depressed guy and SAVES him. She is the hero of the movie and she's super cute while she does it. If that doesn't say girl power, I don't know what does.
Girls Just Want To Have Fun
Do I even need to explain why this movie is all about girl power?! This 80s classic with the cast that doesn't quit was introduced to me by 2 of my favorite kick-butt ladies, Melissa and Stacie, my best friends from high school. It's about a repressed private school girl who enters a contest to be on Dance TV behind her strict dad's back. It's ah-mazing. The music, the dancing, the clothes, the HAIR. Seriously, if you are a child of the 80s and have not seen this movie, right this wrong immediately. Um, plus, it's SJP pre-Sex in the City. It's so great to know she's been fabulous for 3 decades.

Last but certainly not least, Erin Brockovich
This movie is so good in so many ways. Even though Julia Roberts' Oscar-winning role is not a lawyer, this movie shows me what kind of lawyer I want to be. Erin Brockovich shows ladies how to fight for what they believe in and to fight for making something of themselves, without needing a man to support them. Don't get me wrong, there are men who are great in this movie, but Erin relies on herself to be successful, even with 3 kids and no money. Don't get me wrong, I love my hubby, but I love that I could make it on my own if it was ever necessary.

The whole point of all of these female powerhouses is that they do things that are incredibly scary and incredibly brave. They take leaps of faith in themselves, and the more movies we have that encourage women to do just that, the better. The Spice Girls had it right all along. GIRL POWER! (Oh and Spice World would have been another excellent choice. Another post, that movie is special.)

No comments:

Post a Comment