Saturday, August 6, 2011

Guilty Pleasure Tunes of the Week

There are so many sweet guilty pleasure jams out there that I decided to make it a weekly series. There was an entire VH1 special dedicated to the best Awesomely Bad Songs and guess what? I loved pretty much every one of them. I love legit music too but there is just something special about screaming the words to a super cheesy pop song while I'm driving along the highway. So here it is, the inaugural Guilty Pleasure Tunes of the Week:

"Digital Getdown" - *N Sync

Now I know this song is kind of inappropriate as it's basically about gettin' it on cyber-style, but it's *N Sync, so it can't be too scandalous. And the lyrics are HILARIOUS. "Digital digital getdown, just you and me, we'll be 20,000 miles away but I can see you and baby, baby you can see me." Priceless. Oh to be a fly in the room when they chose this song for their album. But honestly, I dare you to not start singing along by the final chorus.

"Leave" - Jo Jo
Who knew a 13-year-old girl could be SO emotional about breaking up? Don't they only hold hands at 13? (Or at least that's all they did back when I was 13.) The best part about this song is the chanting between lines of the chorus. She thought this boy could have been the one, you guys. That's the point in the song where I have to stop singing along and go "YOU'RE 13!!" But it's still cheesy pop gold.

"Wishing Well" - Terence Trent D'Arby
I don't even know if this song is a guilty pleasure but it's from the 80s, and he has amazing dreadlocks but is not a reggae musician, so I'm going to go ahead and call it a guilty pleasure. My mom had this album, on cassette tape I believe, and we used to listen to it in the car and I'm pretty sure at age 5, I just liked a song about wishing wells because those were really fun. It's a pretty good song with the exception that the lyrics are hard to understand at parts, but more fun for the listener who makes them up, right? For example, I end the chorus with "a wishing well, a crocodile chair." Nailed it.

"I Wanna Be Bad" - Willa Ford
So when I was looking this song up on YouTube, this one was labelled "Dirty" and I watched it to make sure it wasn't too inappropriate for posting. Oh my how times have changed. Willa, you were ahead of your time in both being over-sexed and use of autotune, but today, this video would never be banned by MTV. It is, however, a horrible song with a horrible message but damn, if it isn't catchy. Willa, it's too bad you didn't make a song called "I Wanna Read" because I'd feel way less guilty about liking it.

"Take on Me" - A-ha
Another 80s gem and the video is Ah-mazing. The whole thing takes place in a comic book. This song also features some amazing falsetto. And most importantly, it's featured in the only funny part of one of the worst movies of all time, Corky Romano. I'm sorry, but the image of Chris Kattan driving in an orange Miata while hitting the high notes in this song is forever burned in my brain and it pops up every time I hear the chorus. Glorious.

2 comments:

  1. I loved that you remembered "wishing well" from driving in the car with me; I thought Terence Trent D'Arby was just starting his long and successful career (boy, was I wrong there). Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom, you're responsible for a lot of my 80s jams. I'm sure Billy Idol will be addressed in a later post and I owe that all to you :)

    ReplyDelete