Wednesday, August 31, 2011

My Top 5 Flicks That Make Me Want to Get My Groove On

There are lots of amazing dance movies out there. Most of them make me embarrassingly attempt to perform their signature routines myself. I'd be lying if I said I've never done the "Maniac" routine from Flashdance alone in my apartment. Below are the movies that make me dance along the most (or at least attempt to). Fair warning: 2 of these aren't strictly dance movies BUT they include dance routines that are seriously AH-MAZ-ING.

My blog's first gif! Yay internet!
Center Stage

I have to start with a true classic, or at least a true classic for my generation. This is the story of a girl with bad feet and poor turnout who realized she needs to find her inner rebel ballerina while wearing red toe shoes that I would wear every day if I could get my hands on them. Ok, that's a TERRIBLE summary, but this is a classic underdog story with beautiful dancing, mediocre-at-best acting and boys that dance! What's not to love? If only I hadn't quit ballet at age 9!

You can't tell, but they're doing Thriller
13 Going On 30

This movie is completely adorable but if the only five minutes you see of it are those in which most of the cast performs the Thriller dance routine, your life will be better for it. Watching Mark Ruffalo clearly counting out the beat in his head while he does the moves is probably the most endearing thing ever. 

Now I can't stop with the gifs. They're amazing.
Footloose

The above gif (my new favorite Internet thingie) shows my favorite dance move from the famous scene in Footloose where Kevin Bacon (and his stunt double) is SO MAD that the small town he's recently moved to does not allow dancing and he just has to DANCE. So he goes to a conveniently abandoned warehouse or mill or something and just dances his little wife-beater clad heart out. I'm so obsessed with this movie I can't even describe it. The soundtrack, the choreography and, hello, KEVIN BACON. Love love love.


So Baby's lift was better than Emma's, but it's still the best duo dance move of all time.
Dirty Dancing (and now, Crazy, Stupid, Love)

I'm not even going to get into this one too much. If you haven't seen this movie, I don't think I want to know you. Also, this movie is so awesome that its best and most climatic dance move is replicated in another awesome movie, Crazy, Stupid, Love. I'm probably going to force my husband to learn how to do lifts with me. I think it's something we need to do at weddings, tailgates, what have you.


These two are presh.
Slumdog Millionaire

This movie is incredible not even in a guilty pleasure way. The part that makes me want to take a Bollywood dance class (I made that up, but I think it should be a thing.) is the finale dance routine to "Jai Ho." Also, my husband is obsessed with this dance and whenever it comes on, I think of him doing the sweet Indian dance moves. He even threatened to do the Jai Ho routine flash mob style at our wedding ceremony. A small part of me is sad that didn't pan out, but I don't think the priest would have been too thrilled.

Honorable Mentions: (and by that I mean already mentioned on this blog in previous posts)
Girls Just Want To Have Fun (Girl Power Movies)
Newsies (Camp Eberhart's Lip Sync)

No comments:

Post a Comment